You may need to specifically allow your Daily.co hardware access to your network.
- Even if your office has Internet, specific devices may need authorization, to get full network access.
- You also should check your Ethernet port is live, and has not been changed recently.
For example, your laptop may be allowed to connect to your Internet. However, the Daily.co box may not have access.
Network connection flags
- Your TV is stuck on the Thinking message. Your box seems to have booted OK, but it doesn't get past the blue screen that says 'Thinking.'
- Or: in the lower right and left, an error message says Setup error - please reseat the device cables and reboot
Check your Ethernet jack
- Make sure the ethernet jack you are connecting to is CURRENTLY live. Sometimes an IT department will turn off unused ethernet jacks and they will need to specifically enable it. Try plugging in a device that you know can connect to your network to test whether or not that ethernet jack is working.
- Make sure your ethernet cable works. Try swapping out ethernet cables. You may have a faulty or damaged cable.
- Make sure the ethernet port on your Daily.co TV is functioning. The port on your Daily.co TV may be broken. Look for lights by the ethernet port when your device is powered on and the ethernet cable is plugged in. Contact Daily.co support if there is a hardware issue and we can ship out a replacement right away.
More about networks
The Daily.co TV needs 2 things from your network to be able to function properly:
- Be able to get online — be assigned a DHCP address.
- Be allowed to accept Internet traffic of different kinds — specifically to send/receive UDP traffic.
It's not unusual for IT department to limit what devices have access to your office's network. They may need to whitelist your Daily.co TV.
Example: when you're in a coffee shop, hotel room, or flight, you may get a pop-up window in order to let you onto the network. This is a "captive portal" — an example of being able to get a DHCP address, but not being allowed to get/send all Internet traffic. Until you accept their terms or make payment, you aren't allowed to fully access the Internet.
Touch base with IT
If you've confirmed the jack and Ethernet cable are all fine, but the TV still says Thinking, check your network access.
- Ask your IT admin – or whoever set up your network – to authorize and whitelist the Daily.co device. They can contact us via chat or email@example.com with any questions, thanks.
Need more help? Email firstname.lastname@example.org anytime. Chat with us M–F, 9am–5pm PST.