Room owners can record a meeting if a room has recording enabled.
- Local recording saves the finished recording as a .webm file on the user's computer.
- Cloud recording uploads the file to your Daily.co account while a meeting is in progress and requires additional upstream bandwidth.
Learn more about enabling recording for a room here: Enabling recording for a room
How to record a call
Starting a recording
- In a video call, click the Record button in the bottom left.
- You'll see a notification that your recording is starting after a 5-second countdown.
- Other participants in your meeting will be notified that a recording is starting, and a banner will indicate a recording is in progress.
Stopping a recording
- Click the Stop Recording button in the banner at the bottom of your screen.
- For local recordings, this immediately stops your recording and downloads the recording to your computer.
- For cloud recordings, this stops the recording and finishes the upload process.
Caution: Closing the browser without stopping a recording may result in an incomplete recording!
The recording is saved as a .webm file. To play this file, you may need to transcode it. Learn more about transcoding here: How to transcode a .webm file