When you click on your cam/mic buttons, do you see the below image?
Your cam/mic is blocked by (1) your browser or (2) Operating System. Check BOTH.
1. Allow browser
Click the camera icon. It's in your browser address bar, top right.
Chrome users see this. (If you need help with other browsers, go here. But make sure to come back!!)
- Choose Allow > Click Done
- Refresh your browser!
2. MAC USERS - Check Systems Preferences
This step is critical.
- Go to System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Camera.
- Click the box next to the browser you're using. It'll quit and reopen your browser.
- Do the same for Systems Preferences > Privacy > Microphone.
👇 Also check MICROPHONE!
3. WINDOWS Updates
PLEASE check for Systems Updates! This Lifewire post is helpful.
4. Do you have a program that automatically opens at startup, which uses your camera?
- We have duplicated an issue where one popular program, when auto-starting, does not close cleanly. It still claims access to the camera even after it's closed.
- Turn off the program automatically opening at startup. Now reboot.
👉 👉 If you haven't already...REBOOT your computer. Your system needs to clear out any old issues.
🤔 Do the official Google test:
- Go to https://test.webrtc.org
- Click the green button
This is a page created by Google (not by us). If it can't see your camera and microphone, Google is saying something is wrong with your browser.
Make sure you've tried the steps above. And reboot.
- Do you have ad blockers? Or browser extensions? Try Incognito. An extension might be blocking camera access.
- How to join muted
- See unblock instructions for Safari, Firefox and Edge
Can we help? Ping us on chat, 9-5 PT, or email firstname.lastname@example.org