Below are 5 quick steps that solve most in-browser video call issues.
- Quick context: the key is the video calls work in your browser so your browser needs be running smoothly. Do you have browser blockers? Or lots of tabs open? These can affect your call quality!
✅ Diagnose: Run the Google test
If you have time, it's useful to try Google's browser test. It alerts to browser issues that affect the call:
👉 👉 Click this Google browser test, https://test.webrtc.org
- Google's test is for your browser in general. (It's not specific to our video calls.)
- Click the test link. Click the start button. See if it finds problems.
- Issues? Try the below 5 steps. Contact us for help.
✳️ Fix: 5 tips
- Reload your browser.
- Try Incognito or Private mode.
Especially if you have browser extensions, like ad blockers. They can block your camera and microphone.
- Quit your browser. Don't just close. QUIT and reopen.
- Try another browser. (Chrome, Safari or Firefox)
- Reboot. Most people don't have to do this. But it can be a fast fix if you don't want to spend time troubleshooting.
Your browser is like any program or software. If you have not refreshed it in a while, it might need a refresh.
- Audio issues — others can't hear you? Or vice versa? Check settings.
- Using an external cam/mic? Make sure it's selected in your Settings
Click More > Cam/mac settings > Set your cam/mic as the Default
- Unblock camera or mic
- Mac OS screen sharing — new privacy setting step
- Packet loss — it's different from a speed test!
🔇 Laggy video or audio? Mute cameras. Use Shh! mode.
🎧 Use earbuds! It helps with echo.
Background on the browser test and packet loss
👉 Your browser and operating system might not be talking to each other. Reloading, or rebooting, can clear out stalled network settings, for example.
🔎 Incognito doesn't load your browser extensions. So try Incognito, to clarify if an extension is blocking the video call from loading.
🏃🏽♂️ Even great networks can have packet loss. And it's packet loss that's important to live media streaming. Take a network test. Read this help page for more.
Daily is a real-time API for developers. We're glad to help teams using our API. Chat or email with us.