👉 Important update
We've ended our basic calls product. Service for current basic call users ends June 22, 2020.
- Read the blog post on basic call service ending.
- Daily.co TV customers, please read this separate post.
- Starting June 22, 2020 only admins can download recordings from the dashboard. If you are not an admin, download your cloud recordings before June 22! Anyone can download recordings via the API.
Below are 5 quick steps that solve most issues.
The key is the video calls work in your browser. So the calls depend on your browser running smoothly. (Do you have browser blockers? Or lots of tabs open? See below!)
✅ Run the Google test
If you have time, it's useful to try Google's browser test. It alerts to browser issues that affect the call:
👉 👉 Click this Google browser test, https://test.webrtc.org
- Google's test is for your browser in general. (It's not specific to our video calls.)
- Click the test link. Click the start button. See if it finds problems.
- Issues? Try the below 5 steps. Contact us for help.
✳️ These fix most issues (and see more below):
- Reload your browser.
- Try Incognito or Private mode.
Especially if you have browser extensions, like ad blockers. They can block your camera and microphone.
- Quit your browser. Don't just close. QUIT and reopen.
- Try another browser. (Chrome, Safari or Firefox)
- Reboot. Most people don't have to do this. But it can be a fast fix if you don't want to spend time troubleshooting.
The general idea is your browser is like any program or software! If you have not refreshed it in a while, it might need a refresh!
🗣 Quick Audio
Audio issues — others can't hear you? Or vice versa? Check settings.
👂 Using an external cam/mic? Make sure it's selected in your Settings
Click More > Cam/mac settings > Set your cam/mic as the Default
🔇 Laggy video or audio? Mute cameras. Use Shh mode.
🎧 Use earbuds! It helps with echo.
More on the browser test and packet loss
👉 Your browser and operating system might not be talking to each other. Reloading, or rebooting, can clear out stalled network settings, for example.
🔎 Incognito doesn't load your browser extensions. So try Incognito, to clarify if an extension is blocking the video call from loading.
🏃🏽♂️ Even great networks can have packet loss. And it's packet loss that's important to live media streaming. Take a network test. Read this hep page for more.
We're glad to help! Chat or email with us.